CLIFF AVRIL SNEAKER BLOG: COMPARING LEBRONS AND DURANTS
By CLIFF AVRIL
Hey guys, this week I will be addressing some hot topics surrounding sneakers. I'll pick a winner between last year's LeBron and Durant signature models, give my opinion on the Air Yeezy 2's, and also give a little history behind an upcoming Jordan release. Let me know what you think in the comments section and follow me on Twitter at @cliffavril.
Upcoming Release of the week: Air Jordan IX “Johnny Kilroy”
First off, I am definitely getting a pair of these. I like the colorway a lot, but I also like the story behind them. The Air Jordan IX was released while Mike was in retirement, so Nike had to develop a marketing scheme clever enough to sell a basketball sneaker while Jordan was playing baseball. Johnny Kilroy was supposedly an alias that Jordan played under during his retirement. Check out the old ad.
Hype or Legit: Nike Air Yeezy 2’s
At first I felt like the Air Yeezy 2 was all hype, but after looking deeper into the shoe and seeing the detail compared to normal kicks they are pretty dope. I feel like the hype definitely built up the demand for them, but overall it is a legit cool shoe.
Lebron IX or Durant IV’s?
A big topic that continues to come up in the sneaker community is who has the better signature sneaker? LeBron or Durant? So I figured I would weigh in on the subject. I’ve broken my opinion down by categories that I think are important with sneakers. Feel free to weigh in and let me know what you think.
- Style: I'm a fan of the high-top style featured on the LeBron IX. My ankles are vital to me being a successful DE in the NFL. I also am not a big fan of the strap on the KD IV’s, as far as performance goes, but for fashion I think it can add some extra flare to your look.
- Colorways: Nike has really stepped up their game when it comes to cool colorways with their signature shoes. Having said that here are some of my favorites of each style. I’m a Boilermaker, so I am a little partial to black and gold.
KEVIN DURANT'S "NERFS"
LeBRON JAMES' P.S. ELITE "GOLD PACK"
- Fit/Comfort: LeBrons are extremely comfortable and really have a lockdown fit. I wear them to work out off the field. Durant’s just don’t give enough ankle support for me.
- LeBron or Durant? (the player): I like both of these guys. LeBron is a pure athlete that is going to be getting to the goal and a human highlight reel. Durant is kinda old school, he is a pure basketball player as a shooter and also fundamentally.
- LeBron or Durant? (the shoe): The winner is the Lebron’s IX’s. Like I said they have the best combination of style, comfort, and colorways. Stay tuned to the blog to see what I think about the Lebron X and Durant V.
The Detroit Lions DE keeps SOTL.com readers up to date on athletic footwear throughout the season with his "Cliff's Kicks" blog. The 6-3, 260-pound Avril led the Lions in sacks and forced fumbles last season, and had a pair of touchdown returns. The Purdue graduate was a late arrival at training camp this season, staying home in part so he could be at his son Xavier's first birthday party.